What is maximum length on VHF/AIS antenna cable?

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA multiplexer products questions
tobey74

What is maximum length on VHF/AIS antenna cable?

Post by tobey74 »

Hi

I am trying to get my newly bought QK-A024 to work to show AIS targets but so for no luck. I am using a 50 ohm AIS/VHF antenna which is preinstalled with 20 meters of cable and BNC connector already attached.

Are there limitations on how long the antenna cable can be for the QK-A024 to work?

Best regards, Peter

admin
Site Admin

Re: What is maximum length on VHF/AIS antenna cable?

Post by admin »

20 meters cable looks like a bit long. We will heading to Dover recently and perform a field testing at the port and report to you the latest result.

tobey74

Post by tobey74 »

Okay thank you, but if in fact I do get a small flashing AIS LED light, it should mean data is received, am I correct?

I tried standing on a hill right by water yesterday and did manage to get small flashing LED (see video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8bpdzn9VEJNBgcXh2) but I don't get any AIS targets shown on my iPad running latest iOS and latest version of iSailor. My iPad was connected fine via WiFi to the QK-A024.

You can see my setup in AIS_Testing_setup.png and there is a big freighter more not in this picture. So I was hoping to see at least 2 AIS targets.

Can the missing data be caused by the antenna cable being to long?

Can I check if AIS unit is working in some other way?

I will be using the AIS unit on my boat and cut the cable down to around 5-6 meters but I just wanted to make absolutely sure everything is working okay before going forward with intalling on boat :)

kind regards, Peter
Attachments
Testing AIS receiver with iPad running iSailor
Testing AIS receiver with iPad running iSailor
AIS_Testing_setup.png (132.8 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Tobey,
Your video helps a lot. I can confirm the module has received valid AIS messages and been corrected decoded by the module(the middle LED flashing indicate this). So, you don't need cut the cable now. You better need check the configuration on your iPad.
Let us know if you need further help(again, the image of the setting screen will be helpful).

tobey74

Post by tobey74 »

Thank you for assistance, I got it working on iPad with iSailor. I had just purchased the AIS opportunity inside iSailor but there was extra settings needed as well. It was not enough just connecting to the QK wifi.
My boat is on the hard in the yard behind several tall trees but I am still able to see AIS targets just under 5 nm out so that is excellent. Looking forward to get out on the water :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool