QK-A026 gps and VHF antennas

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA multiplexer products questions
Michael

QK-A026 gps and VHF antennas

Post by Michael »

Does QK-A026 include a gps antenna? If not, what do I need?
Your reply on maximum cable length for the VHF antenna (5m) does not seem consistent with the mounting height you recommend for maximum range, or use of a masthead antenna and splitter. What is the best arrangement?

admin
Site Admin

Re: QK-A026 gps and VHF antennas

Post by admin »

QK-A026 has a build-in GPS receiver. All you need is an active GPS antenna. You should be able to find enough options by googling like the following image.
Attachments
quark-elec GPS receiver
quark-elec GPS receiver
s-l1600.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A 28.6 meters RG58 cable and one 3 meters RG58 cable were used to perform the comparison tests. Our lab tests shows that 28.6 meters' cable inserts 6.3db attenuation, while 3 meters only gives 1.5db. This means with the longer cable the receivers sensitivity level drops 4.8db.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks. I would suggest that at ranges where sensitivity is important, improved signal strength at height would outweigh the extra loss in the cable. Reed's almanac says my mast height of 10m gives a horizon distance of only 6.6 miles. Line-of sight to the quoted maximum range of 45 miles (or even to 20 miles to allow for the cable loss) would need an unrealistic transmitter height, so signal attenuation will be more than the inverse square law for line-of-sight and will increase if the receiving antenna is lowered.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool