Cannot get A031 to work---solved(also discussed NASA masthead clipper issue)

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA multiplexer products questions
djf

Cannot get A031 to work---solved(also discussed NASA masthead clipper issue)

Post by djf »

I purchased my QK-A031 in spring of 2018. The WiFi worked briefly last year, but I was unable to get any of the NMEA inputs to work. When I switch the unit on I see all led's briefly light up. Afterward just the red power led is lit and led7 flashes. I have attempted to configure using the ConfigTool.exe using settings in application note. I am using Windows 10 and it appears as COM3. I have configured the COM3 to use those outlined in the application guide. The unit does not show up in my available networks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get A031 to work

Post by admin »

Hello
First let me ask you a few questions related to your query:

What equipment are you connecting to the QK-A031? (Make and model please)
Which ports is the equipment connected too?
What is connected to output?
Have you tried swapping the NMEA "+" and "-"
When you say "the unit does not show up in my available networks" what do you mean?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. To shed some light on the WiFi which I guess you are using you cannot configure or control the unit using WiFi. To configure any of our units you must use the USB cable provided and connect directly to a windows PC via USB socket.

Straight out of the box the WiFi for the A031 should appear as ‘QK-A031xxxx’. You won’t have to do anything to this apart from enter the password and connect to it via your mobile or wireless device. If you change it to station mode then the password and SSID will be that of your choosing.
I hope this helps a bit, please let me know about the questions above and we will go from there.
Best regards

djf

Post by djf »

I am connecting the following sensors:
1. To NMEA IN 1: Standard Horizon SCU-31 External GPS Antenna - https://www.starmarinedepot.com/standar ... 40671.html

2. To NMEA IN 2: Clipper Tactical Wind Sensor TWS-1 - https://www.starmarinedepot.com/clipper ... ensor.html

I am connecting a Furuno Multi Display RD-30 to NMEA OUT

I am also trying to connect my MS Surface over WiFi with Windows 10 using OpenCPN 4.8.2. The device manager indicates this is COM3.

I powered up and configured the A031 using the cable and ConfigTool.exe. When connected with the cable, the tool indicates I am connected in the status bar at the bottom of the window.

When the A031 is powered up and the cable disconnected, it does not show up on my available networks on my Windows 10 MS Surface. i.e. there is no network SSID like QK-A031xxxx in either station mode or ad-hoc.

Thanks for your assistance.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello
Sorry for the late reply. I have looked at the manuals briefly and I think that your products are running RS232 voltage as the equipment is old and they only mention NMEA 0183 in the manuals. Our equipment communicates RS422; now I cannot be for certain but that is what I feel is the issue. The best way to find out is to call the manufacturers of your products and ask because the manuals don’t mention it. Luckily we sell a bridge device to convert RS232 signal into RS422 signal. This unit is ideal for your use and im sure will help you to connect your instruments. I have provided a link below to their bridge device for you to look at.
https://www.quark-elec.com/product/qk-a ... ol-bridge/
I have also attached a link t our blog explaining the RS232/RS422 issue.
https://www.quark-elec.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=10942

When everything is connected could you explain HOW AND WHAT THE led's are doing; for example:
What LED's light up?
How often do they flash?
Does the power LED stay on?
Do the LED's correspond with the inputs?
I understand this is a lot of questions but it will help me to understand what is going on.

In relation to your WiFi issue. This cannot be explained unless the antenna is damaged or the WiFi is set in station mode. Please make sure that the unit is in Ad-hoc mode and if you need to change the SSID and Password to something more suitable then please do. Make sure to click on 'Config' and then click on 'disconnect'. This makes sure that it is all saved.

I hope this helps and I understand it is a lot of information and questions.
Best regards

djf

Post by djf »

With your advice, I have been able to resolve the WiFi issue with the config tool, thanks.

I have connected my gps antenna.

1. The Power LED is lit steady.
2. I have connected the positive and negative gps antenna leads to positive and negative 12 volts.
3. I have connected the postive NMEA0183 out lead from the gps antenna to the NME IN1 positive on the MUX.
4. The NMEA IN1 (LED2) is flashing.
5. The NMEA OUT (LED5) is flashing.
6. I have downloaded the latest version of the netassist tool tonight and am unable to receive any data from the GPS antenna. The connection icons in the top right corner of the tool are flashing blue. I have tried UDP and TCP client with local host 127.0.0.1 and the other IP address in the drop down 192.168.100.117 (I am assuming that is the IP address assigned from my home network). I have used the 8080 port as well as the WiFi port 2333 that I configured.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello
That is fantastic that the WiFi is working now. However you say that you are unable to get the data from your GPS antenna via WiFi through the QK-A031.
The fact the LED's are flashing lets me know the unit is receiving valid NMEA sentences so I'm sure the unit is working properly. From what you have told me about the IP numbers and port info I'm not sure you are using the correct settings. For use in Ad-hoc mode:
Client: TCP
IP: 192.168.1.100
Port: 2000
In station mode you will have to assign the correct SSID and Password. You will also need the correct router information for your IP address and gateway. Please make sure this is ok and try again. If you are still having issues then please try it in Ad-hoc mode and connect it to a mobile device or PC chart software directly.
I hope this helps more.
Best regards

djf

Post by djf »

I was able to receive GPS data through the MUX in OpenCPN, as I observed the GPS sentences in the NMEA debug window. I was able to do this using both the serial connection over the USB cable interface and the WiFi connection when the cable is disconnected.

Tomorrow I will try to get the RD 30 MFD working with the GPS through the MUX.

Thanks for your assistance.

djf

Post by djf »

By reversing the data wires on my Furuno RD30 I am now able to get GPS data from the GPS antenna through the MUX to display on the RD30.

The only thing remaining is to have my wind sensor send data through the A031 to my MFD. That will have to wait until spring when my boat is out of storage and the mast is up on the boat.

Thanks for all of your assistance.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello
That is excellent to hear.

for your clipper Wind sensor we have tested it with our unit and the configuration and you will need the QK-AS03 NMEA protocol bridge. this will change the signal and allow it to be read by our units.
https://www.quark-elec.com/product/qk-a ... ol-bridge/

Please let us know when you are back with your boat and we can offer more assistance and clarity in regards to this issue.
Best regards

djf

Post by djf »

OK thanks. I just ordered the Protocol Bridge. Are there any other less costly options for shipping other than the 23gbp option?