Navionics & Boat Beacon on Android 4x / AO24

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA multiplexer products questions
CCCCCCC

Navionics & Boat Beacon on Android 4x / AO24

Post by CCCCCCC »

I have a new, un-modified QK-A024 which is happily transmitting AIS targets over Wifi (192.168.1.100 on Port 2000) to Boat Beacon running on my Android 10 phone.

BUT

1. On the same phone, using Navionics Boating, I can only see targets intermittently - they flash up, then disappear, then flash up, disappear etc

2. On a Sony tablet running Android 4.4.2 I get the same performance in Navionics as in (1) above, but the Boat Beacon App cannot connect to the AIS stream (despite having WiFi established and linked to 192.168.1.100 on Port 2000)

3. On a tablet running Android 4.1 I cannot see the AIS stream in either Navionics or Boat Beacon, (despite having WiFi established and linked to 192.168.1.100 on Port 2000)

Is there a backwards compatibility issue with the WiFi connection in Android, or do I need to modify the Port or the Baud Rate in either the AO24 or the Android devices?

Many thanks in anticipation

admin
Site Admin

Re: Navionics & Boat Beacon on Android 4x / AO24

Post by admin »

Hello, did you running two Apps on the same time and both setup with the same IP/port number to get AIS messages from A024?

CCCCCCC

Post by CCCCCCC »

yes.

a) On the Android 10 device, both run quite happily together (independently, with no data transfer), subject only to the Navionics issue noted in my original post

b) The Sony tablet running Android 4.4.2 was configured identically to the Android 10 device, and run simultaneously side-by side. Boat Beacon could not receive AIS input from the AO24

c) The two Android 4.1 tablets are identical, "factory reset" and run variously at the same time as each other, at the same time as the Android 4.4.2 tablet, and as the Android 10 device. In all cases, neither Boat Beacon nor Navionics can connect or receive AIS targets from the AO24 (although both run the two apps without any issue). On these devices, Boat Beacon in "Internet" mode can quite happily pass AIS targets to the Navionics app, and the targets don't switch on and off, but persist.

My uninformed suspicion is that it has something to do with wifi connectivity. All devices are able to "see" and connect to the AO24 SSID, all are set to 192.168.1.100 on Port 2000, and, to all intents and purposes, all other environmental factors are the same across all devices

CCCCCCC

Post by CCCCCCC »

UPDATE

OK. lesson learned and problem resolved! After several days of faffing around and no response to emails, calls or these requests for guidance from Quark, I have given up on "Heath Robinson" DIY solutions in an evolving technology environment, and have decided to buy a proper dedicated AIS unit (which is working fine straight out of the box, and for not a lot more than the money I wasted on the AO24)

Moral of the story: when it comes to boating safety, you really can't get away with doing it on the cheap, or with "Home Electronics"/Maplins-standard kit. What a shame, and what a waste of a week! :roll:

CCCCCCC

Post by CCCCCCC »

Neat bit of redaction to suppress negative commentary

STILL no response to email requests for support!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, sorry for the frustration. I can assure you, we did not ignore you, emails have been send to you over the last few days. Please check your email Spam folder. Alternatively, send us an email to info@quark-elec.com and we can reply directly to you. Thank you for your patience.

Albinatum

Post by Albinatum »

i have similar problem. it was solved by changed the IP address to be static and make sure DNS and router both should be the 192.168.1.100 which was shown on A026.
The other point you should know is Navionics will show ''disconnected'' if no AIS messages been received within 10 seconds, actually it still keeps connected.
Last edited by Albinatum on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AkolToys

How to Keep an iPad/iphone From Dropping Wi-Fi Signals

Post by AkolToys »

Update your office or home Wi-Fi router's firmware to the latest version. Outdated firmware often causes connection problems. Some routers automatically check for firmware updates. If yours doesn't, visit the router manufacturer's website and look for firmware on the Downloads or Support page.

Determine whether your router uses WEP, WPA or WPA2 security. To do this, open your Internet browser on a computer and visit the router's configuration page. If the router uses WEP security, switch to WPA or WPA2. According to Apple, WEP security may cause regular disconnects.

Renew the iPad's DHCP lease. Tap "Settings" and "Wi-Fi." Tap the arrow to the right of your preferred wireless network and select "Renew Lease."

Erase the network that gives you problems with connectivity. Tap "Settings" and "Wi-Fi." Select the desired network and then tap "Forget this Network." This option erases the settings for this network, so you need to re-enter them.

Reset the settings for all the networks on the iPad if the problem persists. Tap "Settings," "General" and "Reset." Tap "Reset Network Settings." Re-enter the configuration information for each network.

Restart the iPad after renewing your IP address or resetting the Wi-Fi network settings. To restart the iPad, hold down the "Sleep/Wake" button. When the red slider appears, slide it to turn off the device. Hold the "Sleep/Wake" button again to turn on the iPad.

Albinatum

Post by Albinatum »

If there is no enough AIS targets nearby you could see disconnection issue on Navionics. To check the real WiFi connection you can try to download 'UDP / TCP / Rest Network Test Utility' from Apple store and then monitor the real WiFi connection. For Ipad, you probably, need use 'Network Utility Tools', and choose 'TCP Client' to setup the connection.
Another point I would like to suggest is change the port number on the Quark device and Navionics. Try a random number and see if it work.