Navionics on iPad

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA multiplexer products questions
AkolToys

Navionics on iPad

Post by AkolToys »

Hi,
I've just received an A032-AIS and I'm having problems making it work consistently with an iPad using Navionics Boating app.
My PC and android phone works OK but the iPad doesn't seem to connect properly. The device seems to show up but mostly says Disconnected.
Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Navionics on iPad

Post by admin »

Many thanks for getting in touch. Can you check the following link to see any helps:
https://www.quark-elec.com/qa-wifi-conn ... eshooting/
iPad/iPhone issue have been discussed a few times in this forum, you probably like to use 'ipad' or 'iphone' searching to get more tips.
To confirm your WiFi connection works well, you can download '' please try to download 'UDP / TCP / Rest Network Test Utility' from Apple store and then monitor the real WiFi connection. For Ipad, you need 'Network Utility Tools', and choose 'TCP Client' to setup the connection.

AkolToys

Post by AkolToys »

Thank you but I don't think it's an IP problem. The IP connection is OK. With 'Network Utility Tools', I can see GPS and AIS sentences have been received. However, this NMEA information is not shown in Navionics. Any idea?

Albinatum

Post by Albinatum »

Always use static IP address on Apple devices is a good way to keep WiFi connection reliable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, thank you. This has been discussed a few times in this forum. Navionics will show ''disconnected if there is no valid messages received within 10 seconds, but actually it is still connected.
The other point want to draw a line here is: Navionics don't support receiving AIS with its free version.

e@edmunddavis.com

Post by e@edmunddavis.com »

Hi,

I'm also having a similar problem.
The iPad does "sometimes" see the NMEA feed, depth and AIS data but it never seems to pick up the location from NMEA.

Navionics seems to detect the type of source based on various wifi paramters including the SSID name, the IP address and port. Setting up the A032 using the standard Quark settings (192.168.1.100:2000) seems intermittent.

Navionics does detect an input when using the following combinations:
10110, 39150 but still never receives position information.

Has anyone succesfully got Navionics to receive GPS information via NMEA on the iPad?

e@edmunddavis.com

Post by e@edmunddavis.com »

Quick update: it seems that changing the TCP port on the Quark device to 1456 and updating the config on Navionics tricks the App into pulling the Deepth and AIS data. My hunch is that Navionics have hard-coded some port combinations into the iPad app to make it work with some NMEA wifi gateways but currently Quark isn't fully working.

For reference, this does not solve the GPS problem - I still can't get Navionics on iPad to pick up the location information from NMEA.

Regards,
Edmund